Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Words of Wisdom Wednesday

I saw this quote today, and boy, does it speak to me:
"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left and could say, "I used everything you gave me" -
Erma Bombeck
Speaking of talent, let's talk Idol:
photos from americanidol.com


A couple of observations:
1. How do you have a show about songs that are the "Most Downloads" and then have songs like Billy Joel's "Just the Way You Are" (by Scott), that Bob Marley thing that Megan sang or 'Lil's song choice? The Billy Joel one I might be able to see, because his songs are pretty timeless. I don't know. That just seems strange to me.
2. Matt's song by The Fray was shaky. I am a big fan. He's got mad talent on the piano and his vocals are usually pretty good. The start was rough and he improve a little. He might be in trouble.
3. Danny picked "What Hurts Most." Ok - when you pick a song by a group that is known for harmony and the runs of the lead singer, it's really hard to do well as a solo and make it your own. He was still good, but I feel like he has trouble with the soft parts and shouts the rest.
4. Kara is taking some heat from the audience and talking back! Oh boy. I think there's only room for one villian on the judges panel and we know who that is. She makes a great point about song choice - but I wonder why they don't have more weeks of judges picking songs for them, because when they become the American Idol, they will have tons of help from their "people" and writers. Why not make it more realistic?


5. And last but not least, my Adam Lambert. I have to admit, when he announced the song he was going to be doing, I went into a panic. Play That Funky Music? Really? I surely thought it was going to be a trainwreck, but, I should have had faith. He is scary good - and, I think, genuinely a nice person. Wow - I was totally surprised and amazed. Way to go.

No comments: